Study Away Course Proposal Procedure
LaGrange College faculty members who wish to develop and lead a study away course must complete an approval process through their respective departments, the Office of Global Engagement, the Provost, Academic Programs Committee (APC), and faculty. Program budgets, invoices, and contract approval are handled in the Office of Global Engagement along with other essential components of programming, such as acceptance of applications, Travel Voucher approval, pre-departure orientation, and required travel forms. Student payments and travel insurance are handled through the Business Office.
Our Faculty Handbook has complete details concerning the approval and development process as well as recruiting students.
Developing a course begins about 18 months in advance. Below is a brief timetable for submitting and implementing a study away course:
- May-August: Consult with Office of Global Engagement regarding your proposal.
- November 1: Proposals and budgets due in Office of Global Engagement. Proposals should be signed by you and department chair and will be forwarded to the Provost for signature. Submitted to APC for approval during November meeting.
- December: Presented at the faculty meeting for final approval.
- January: Study Away online brochure produced and courses listed on Global Engagement website.
- February: Registration begins.
- March: Go Global informational fair held the first week in March. March 15 completed student applications due and list sent to Student Engagement for final approval. Students notified by email of the decision.
- April 15: Student deposits are due.
- August: Final budgets due and, if needed, cost adjustments made.
- September: Last opportunity for students to apply.
- October 1: All travel forms and passport copies due; course paid in full.
- November: Finalize all travel arrangements, submit travel advance requests to Business Office.
- January: Interim begins
- September: Last opportunity for students to apply and deposit is due.
- February 1: All travel forms and passport copies due; course paid in full.
- March: Finalize all travel arrangements, submit travel advance requests to Business Office.
- May: May-Away begins.
Forms and Information are below: